- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons smoked almonds (2 1/2 ounces)
- One 3-inch piece of baguette, cubed
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 2 roasted red bell peppers from a jar, drained
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon pimentón de la Vera
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Four 1-inch-thick tuna steaks
How to make this recipe
Light a grill. In a food processor, coarsely chop the almonds, bread cubes and garlic. Add the tomatoes, roasted red peppers, sherry vinegar and pimentón and puree until smooth. With the machine on, gradually add the oil. Season with salt and pepper.
Season the tuna with salt and pepper. Grill over moderate heat, turning once, for 6 minutes for medium-rare, or 8 minutes for medium. Transfer the tuna to plates. Spoon some of the <em>romesco</em> sauce over the fish and pass the rest at the table.
The romesco sauce can be refrigerated for up to 1 week. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Light rosé, such as one from Napa Valley.