Grilled Tomatillo and Purple Basil Salsa
- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 3 CUPS
I like to use opal basil: It's deep purple, very flavorful and sturdy, and—unusual for basil—it dries beautifully.
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked
- 1 large ear of corn, shucked
- 1 small red onion, sliced 1/3 inch thick
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 chipotle chile in adobo, minced
- 1/4 cup torn purple basil leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Grill the tomatillos and corn over a moderately hot fire or moderate heat until lightly charred all over, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Grill the onion slices until lightly charred, about 3 minutes per side. Remove the charred skins from the tomatillos and quarter them. Slice the corn kernels off the cob. Cut the onion into 1/4-inch dice.
- In a skillet, fry the bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels and coarsely chop. In a bowl, combine the garlic with the chipotle, then stir in the tomatillos, corn, onion and bacon. Fold in the purple basil, season with salt and pepper and serve.
Serve WithTortilla Scramble with Salsa.