- 8 jarred piquillo peppers—drained, rinsed and cut into 1/2-inch-thick strips
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of cayenne
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 18 ounces firm tofu, drained and sliced into 8 rectangles
- Four 1/2-inch-thick slices of ciabatta
How to make this recipe
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. In a medium bowl, mix the piquillo pepper strips with the chopped capers, chopped parsley, minced shallot, sherry vinegar, ground cumin, cayenne and 3 tablespoons of the olive oil. Season the piquillo salsa verde with salt and pepper.
- Pat the tofu slices dry with paper towels. Brush the tofu and bread on both sides with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the bread over moderately high heat, turning once, until lightly charred, about 2 minutes. Grill the tofu, turning once, until grill marks form and the tofu is heated through, about 6 minutes. Transfer the grilled bread and tofu pieces to plates. Spoon the piquillo salsa verde over the tofu and serve.
Juicy Italian rosé.