- Two 1-pound blocks of firm tofu
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil plus more for grilling
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon black bean chili paste
- 1 bunch of watercress, tough stems removed (about 3 loosely packed cups)
- 3/4 cup Miso-Carrot Dressing
- Slice each tofu block 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick and pat the slices dry.
- In a small bowl, stir together the garlic, honey, 2 tablespoons peanut oil, soy sauce and black bean chili paste. Spread half of the marinade in the bottom of a large nonreactive baking dish and top with the tofu slices. Spread the remaining marinade over the tofu, covering it completely.
- Preheat a stovetop grill or the broiler. If using a grill, lightly brush the surface with peanut oil. Grill or broil the tofu, turning once, until caramelized and brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Let cool. Cut each piece into wide strips if desired.
- To serve, line plates or a platter with the watercress and set the tofu on top. Drizzle the Miso-Carrot Dressing on the salad.
The tofu can stand at room temperature for up to 1 hour before grilling.
ONE SERVING: Calories 320 kcal, Protein 26 gm, Soy Protein 25 gm, Carbohydrate 17 gm, Cholesterol 0, Total Fat 19.3 gm, Saturated Fat 2.9 gm.