Grilled Tandoori-Style Chicken Drumsticks
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 50 MIN Plus 4 hr marinating
- SERVINGS: 4
Skinless chicken legs have only slightly more fat than breasts and are much tastier, especially when marinated in spicy yogurt, as they are here. Chaat masala—a spice blend with an intriguing tang from green mango powder—makes this northern-Indian dish extra-delicious. Try it sprinkled over chickpeas or popcorn.
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- One 2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala (see Note)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Kashmiri chile powder or cayenne pepper
- Eight 4-ounce skinless chicken drumsticks, trimmed of excess fat
- 1/2 teaspoon chaat masala (see Note)
- In a large bowl, whisk the yogurt with the ginger, garlic, lemon juice, mustard seeds, garam masala, kosher salt and chile powder. Using a small, sharp knife, make shallow 1-inch slashes in the chicken. Add the chicken to the marinade and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Light a grill, heat a grill pan or preheat the oven to 450°. Remove the chicken legs from the marinade, wiping off all but a thin layer. Grill the chicken legs over moderate heat, turning occasionally until browned and cooked through, 30 minutes. Alternatively, roast the chicken legs on an oiled baking sheet for 20 minutes, turning once halfway through. Transfer the chicken legs to plates, sprinkle with the chaat masala and serve.
Garam masala and chaat masala are spice blends that are available from Indian markets or kalustyans.com. Garam masala, which contains sweet spices like cinnamon and clove, is also available at some supermarkets.
One Serving 320 cal, 9 gm fat, 2 gm sat fat, 5 gm carb, 1 gm fiber.Serve With Sliced red onion, lemon wedges and naan.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.