- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 pounds swordfish steaks sliced 1 1/2 inches thick, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- Lemon wedges and harissa (see Note)
How to make this recipe
- In a large, shallow dish, combine the olive oil, garlic, cumin, paprika, parsley and crushed red pepper. Add the swordfish and stir to coat with the marinade. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Light a grill. Thread the swordfish onto 6-inch skewers. Season with salt. Grill the kebabs over a hot fire, turning once, until lightly charred and cooked through, about 8 minutes. Serve hot, with lemon wedges and harissa.
Harissa, a North African chile paste, is available at Middle Eastern markets and specialty food stores.
These kebabs are delicious broiled as well as grilled. Be sure to lightly oil the broiling pan to prevent the fish from sticking.
You could try this simple, flavorful marinade with other rich, firm-flesh fished, like tuna or sturgeon. You could also use the marinade to make chicken kebabs; just grill or broil them for 10 minutes instead of 8.
A lemony, savory Sicilian white blend with some body will provide a citrusy contrast to the succulent swordfish.