Grilled Striped Bass with Plums and Potato-Mushroom Papillotes
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
The Good News Cyril Renaud first made this fish dish in winter with oranges and liked it so much he adapted it for the warm months, using plums instead. Almost everything about this recipe helps make it both delicious and healthy. Grilling the plums and fish turns them nicely smoky with almost no added fat. And roasting vegetables en papillote (in a paper or foil pouch) intensifies their taste; more flavor comes from a little tamari.
- 1 pound fingerling potatoes, scrubbed
- 1/2 pound hen-of-the-woods or oyster mushrooms, thickly sliced lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Four 6-ounce striped bass fillets, skinned
- 2 teaspoons chopped rosemary
- 4 round purple plums, halved and pitted
- Watercress sprigs, for garnish
- Light a grill. Preheat the oven to 500°. In a medium saucepan of boiling, salted water, cook the potatoes until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and let cool. Peel the potatoes and halve them lengthwise.
- Tear off four 20-by-14-inch sheets of parchment or foil. Spread equal amounts of potatoes and mushrooms on half of each sheet. In a small bowl, mix the tamari with the vinegar and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Drizzle over the potatoes and mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Fold the sheets over the vegetables and crimp to seal, if using parchment; if using foil, fold in the edges to seal the packages. Transfer the papillotes to 2 baking sheets and bake for about 15 minutes, or until sizzling.
- Drizzle the bass fillets with 1 1/2 tablespoons of the olive oil, sprinkle with the rosemary and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle the plums with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil. Grill the bass over high heat until nicely charred and just cooked, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Grill the plums, cut side down, until lightly charred, about 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer the bass fillets and plums to plates. Set a papillote on each plate and open it, pouring out the potatoes, mushrooms and any juices. Watch out for the hot steam. Serve garnished with watercress.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.