- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup jarred roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped oregano
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Four 10-ounce strip steaks, 3/4 inch thick
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil until shimmering. Add the yellow pepper, shallot and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook over moderately low heat, stirring frequently, until just beginning to brown, about 7 minutes. Add the roasted peppers, jalapeño and vinegar. Cover and cook over low heat until the vegetables are very tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the oregano.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, toast the almonds over moderately high heat, stirring constantly, until golden, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Light a grill or heat a cast-iron grill pan over moderately high heat. Rub the steaks with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the steaks for about 5 minutes per side for medium rare. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes, then transfer to plates. Spoon the pepper relish on top of the steaks, sprinkle with the toasted almonds and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.