© James Baigrie
Grilled Steak Tacos
- ACTIVE: 50 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 11 HRS
- SERVINGS: 6
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large bowl, whisk the flour with 1 teaspoon of salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the water and stir until a stiff dough forms.
- Scrape the dough out onto a floured work surface and knead until smooth. If the dough is more than slightly tacky, knead in a few more tablespoons of flour. Shape the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- On a floured work surface, cut the chilled dough into quarters. Cut each quarter into 3 equal pieces. Using a rolling pin, roll each piece into a ball, cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 15 minutes. Roll each ball into a very thin 7-inch tortilla.
- Light a grill. Heat a cast-iron skillet. Lightly oil the skillet and cook each tortilla over moderately high heat until speckled with brown, about 1 minute per side. Transfer the tortilla to a large sheet of foil. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and wrap them in the foil.
- Rub the steak with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the steak over a medium-hot fire until medium rare, 12 to 14 minutes per side, depending on the thickness. Transfer the steak to a carving board and let rest for 10 minutes. Thinly slice the steak across the grain.
- Heat the tortillas in the oven for about 5 minutes. Serve the steak and tortillas with the Pico de Gallo, Chunky Guacamole, Mango-Cucumber Salsa and Simple Black Beans.