Grilled Squid Skewers with Anchovy Butter
- SERVINGS: 6
This dish is best made using small squid with bodies no longer than 4 inches. You can buy good-quality frozen small squid in 5-pound packages.
- 1 pound small squid
- 8 large anchovy fillets
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Olive oil, for brushing
- Soak twelve 8-inch wooden skewers in water for about 20 minutes. Cut off the squid tentacles in 1 piece. Cut the bodies crosswise into 1-inch rings. Thread 3 or 4 pieces of squid body onto each skewer and finish with 1 or 2 tentacles.
- In a small bowl, using a fork, mash the anchovies with the butter until blended. Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan until very hot. Brush the squid skewers with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over a hot fire or over high heat until lightly charred and just cooked, about 1 minute per side. Transfer the squid skewers to a warmed platter and dab them generously with the anchovy butter. Serve the skewers at once.
A sparkling wine with very crisp acidity will balance the saltiness of the grilled squid. Try an Italian Prosecco.