Grilled Squid Salad with Arugula and Melon
- ACTIVE: 40 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
- 1 pound cleaned baby squid
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 1/4 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups flat-leaf parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 4 large garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 ounces baby arugula
- 3 cups cantaloupe cubes (about 1 pound)
- 2 inner celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 small fresh hot red chile, thinly sliced
- Slit the squid bodies lengthwise and open them on a work surface. Score a cross-hatch pattern on the insides and transfer to a bowl. Fold in the tentacles, the grated citrus zests and 1 teaspoon of the red-pepper flakes and 1/4 cup of the olive oil. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine the parsley, anchovies, garlic, capers and shallot and pulse until finely chopped. Add 1/2 cup of the olive oil and pulse to a coarse puree. Add the vinegar and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper and season the salsa verde with salt and pepper.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Season the squid with salt. Grill over high heat, turning once, until charred in spots, about 5 minutes. Transfer all of the squid bodies to a work surface and thinly slice them. Transfer the squid to a medium bowl and toss with half of the salsa verde.
- In a large bowl, whisk the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil with the lemon juice and season with salt. Add the arugula, melon, celery and fresh chile and toss gently. Add the squid and toss again. Transfer the salad to a platter or plates and serve the remaining salsa verde on the side.
Bright, fruity Chenin Blanc.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.