- 1 1/2 tablespoons pure sesame oil
- 3 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 pound cleaned whole squid, bodies and tentacles separated
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon honey or agave
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 small garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 pound unripe green tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick and quartered
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 bunch parsley, coarsely chopped
How to make this recipe
In a small bowl, combine a tablespoon of the sesame oil and a teaspoon of the lime juice. Add the squid and let stand for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium-sized bowl, whisk together remaining sesame oil and lime juice, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, honey, mayonnaise and garlic. Add the sliced tomatoes, red onions, and fennel to the bowl. Give the salad a light toss to coat and set aside.
Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Season squid with salt and pepper and grill the squid over high heat until they are slightly charred and tender, about 1 minute per side. Transfer the squid bodies to a cutting board, slice into slender rings and keep the tentacles intact. Add calamari pieces to the salad bowl and toss to combine. Add some freshly chopped parsley, season with salt, and serve warm or cold.