Grilled Soft-Shell Crabs with Lemon Mayonnaise and Apple-Fennel Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
Cooking soft-shell crabs on the grill gives them a smoky flavor and an appealingly chewy texture. The accompanying salad is Mario Batali's Italian riff on coleslaw—it's made with apples and fennel, which adds a tasty licorice bite.
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 tablespoons pink peppercorns, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 4 Granny Smith apples—peeled, cored and very thinly sliced, preferably on a mandoline
- 2 fennel bulbs—trimmed, cored and very thinly sliced, preferably on a mandoline
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 16 soft shell crabs, cleaned
- Light a grill. In a large bowl, stir the vinegar with the 1/4 cup of olive oil, 1 tablespoon of the pink peppercorns and the celery seeds. Add the apples and fennel and toss well; season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until chilled.
- In a small bowl, blend the mayonnaise with the lemon juice, lemon zest and the remaining 1 tablespoon of pink peppercorns; season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Season the crabs with salt and pepper and brush with oil. Grill over a hot fire, top shell down, until lightly charred and crisp, about 5 minutes. Turn and grill until just cooked through, about 1 minute longer. Spoon the apple-fennel salad onto plates and top each serving with 2 grilled crabs. Serve the lemon mayonnaise on the side.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.