Grilled Smashed Potatoes
- SERVINGS: 6
Marcia Kiesel's friend Pat Zelle, a great instinctive cook, brushes lightly smashed whole boiled potatoes with a vinaigrette, then grills them until crunchy for a great alternative to plain roast potatoes.
Plus: More Grilling Recipes and Tips
- 12 small red potatoes (3 pounds), scrubbed
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the potatoes until just tender, about 12 minutes. Drain and let cool. Using the heel of your hand, slightly flatten each potato; be careful to keep the potatoes intact.
- Light a grill. In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil with the lemon juice and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Brush the potatoes generously with the dressing and sprinkle with salt.
- Grill the potatoes over a medium-hot fire until crisp and browned, about 3 minutes per side. Serve at once.
Make AheadThe smashed boiled potatoes can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Bring the potatoes to room temperature before grilling.