- 1 ounce ancho chiles, stemmed and seeded
- Boiling water
- 2 large garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for the pan
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds skirt steak, cut into 5-inch lengths
How to make this recipe
- In a heatproof bowl, cover the anchos with boiling water and let stand for 15 minutes. Drain the chiles, discarding any seeds and stems, and coarsely chop. In a food processor, pulse the chiles and garlic until finely chopped. Add the pumpkin seeds, almond butter, vinegar and 1/2 cup of warm water; pulse to a coarse paste. With the machine on, add the 1/2 cup of oil in a steady stream. Season with salt and pepper. Scrape the almond sauce into a bowl; don't worry if the oil separates.
- Preheat a grill pan and oil the pan. Season the steak with salt and pepper and grill over high heat for about 6 minutes, turning once, until lightly charred. Let the steak rest, then thinly slice across the grain and serve with the almond sauce.
The almond sauce can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.
Robust, smoky Shiraz.