© John Kernick
Grilled Skirt Steak with Green Bean Salad and Citrus Vinaigrette
- ACTIVE: 1 HR
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4 to 6
Greg Denton and Gabrielle Quiñónez Denton, both Best New Chefs 2014, serve their onion-marinated skirt steak with a vibrant green bean salad in a spicy Asian dressing.
1/2 small red onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for grilling
Freshly ground pepper
2 pounds skirt steak, cut into 3 equal pieces
3/4 pound haricots verts or green beans, trimmed
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 jalapeño or serrano chile, thinly sliced
1/2 cup lightly packed cilantro leaves
1/4 cup chopped roasted peanuts
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1 tablespoon Sriracha
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Marinate the Steak In a blender, combine the onion, garlic, 1/2 cup of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of water and season with salt and pepper. Puree until smooth, then pour into a large resealable plastic bag. Add the steak, seal the bag and rub the steak with the marinade. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Make the Salad Fill a medium bowl with ice water. In a medium saucepan of salted boiling water, cook the beans until crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain, then transfer the beans to the ice bath to cool. Drain well and pat dry. Halve the beans lengthwise and transfer to a large bowl. Add the remaining ingredients.
- Make the Vinaigrette In a small bowl, whisk all of the ingredients.
- Make the Vinaigrette Light a grill and oil the grate. Remove the steak from the marinade and season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderately high heat until lightly charred outside and medium-rare within, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice the steak across the grain.
- Make the Vinaigrette Add two-thirds of the vinaigrette to the bean salad, season with salt and pepper and toss. Serve the steak with the salad, passing the extra vinaigrette at the table.
Vibrant, spiced Argentinean Malbec.