- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek
- 1 small spring onion or 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 large green tomato, cored and cut into 1/3-inch dice
- 1 black plum, cut into 1/3-inch dice
- 1/2 cup fresh sweet cherries, pitted and quartered
- 1/4 cup pitted Niçoise olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped sorrel (optional)
- Kosher salt
- 2 pounds skirt steak, cut into 5-inch lengths
- In a large bowl, whisk the 3 tablespoons of olive oil with the red wine vinegar, soy sauce and sambal oelek.
- In a small skillet, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Add the sliced onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Scrape the onion into the vinaigrette and let the mixture cool. Add the green tomato, plum, cherries, olives, basil, parsley, cilantro and sorrel, if using. Toss well and season with salt and pepper.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Brush the steaks with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over high heat, turning once, until lightly charred outside and medium-rare within, about 6 minutes. Transfer the steaks to a carving board and let rest for 5 minutes, then thinly slice across the grain. Serve the steaks with the fruit salsa.
A vivid, juicy California Grenache will match the steak in intensity and the plum in fruitiness.