Grilled Shrimp with Orange Aioli
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Three simple ingredients in this creamy aioliorange, honey and garlicevoke the flavors of Provence.
More Grilled Shrimp Recipes
- 2 pounds large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 2 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 garlic clove, very finely chopped
- Kosher salt
- In a medium bowl, toss the shrimp with the olive oil, orange juice, garlic and a generous pinch of pepper. Cover and refrigerate the shrimp for 1 hour or overnight.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the orange juice, orange zest, honey and garlic; season with salt.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Thread the shrimp onto 6 pairs of bamboo skewers and season with salt. Grill the shrimp over high heat, turning occasionally, until lightly charred and cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer the shrimp skewers to plates and serve with the aioli.
The orange accent in both the marinade and the aioli for these shrimp raises the opportunity for an unusually sympathetic wine pairing, since the Muscat grape often has a scent that's described as being like orange or tangerine blossoms. Most Muscats are sweet, but a few are dry (and very good, too). Look for a dry Muscat from Italy's Basilicata region.