Grilled Shrimp with Mom's Avocado-and-Orange Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
- 2 navel oranges
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 24 large shrimp (about 1 1/2 pounds), shelled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- Pinch of dried oregano
- 2 Hass avocados, cut into thin wedges
- Using a sharp knife, peel the oranges, removing all of the bitter white pith. Working over a strainer set over a medium bowl, cut between the membranes to release the orange sections into the strainer. Squeeze the juice from the membranes into the bowl through the strainer. Whisk 1 teaspoon of the hot sauce into the strained juice with 1 tablespoon of the oil and the mint. Season with salt and pepper; add the shrimp and toss.
- In another bowl, combine the lime juice with the remaining 1/4 cup of oil and 1 teaspoon of hot sauce. Add the tomatoes, onion, cilantro and oregano and the orange sections. Season lightly with salt.
- Light a grill or heat a grill pan. Grill the shrimp over high heat for about 4 minutes, turning once or twice until lightly charred and cooked through. Transfer the shrimp to plates. Gently fold the avocados into the orange salad and serve alongside the shrimp.
Citrusy Sauvignon Blanc.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.