Grilled Shrimp with Lemon-Basil Pesto
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
This lemony pesto is also good with chicken, fish or scallops.
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 3 cups packed basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds jumbo shrimp, shelled and deveined
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- In a small skillet, toast the pine nuts over moderate heat, shaking the pan occasionally, until golden brown, about 2 minutes; let cool.
- In a food processor, pulse the pine nuts with the basil leaves, garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest and 6 tablespoons of the olive oil until combined. Add the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and pulse until smooth. Scrap the pesto into a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Light a grill or preheat a cast-iron grill pan. Thread 2 or 3 shrimp on each of 6 skewers and brush with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper and grill over a medium-hot fire until opaque and cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Serve the shrimp hot, with the pesto and lemon wedges.
A Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc with herbal and citrus notes and a hint of oak complements the pesto's lemony character as well as the sweetness of the shrimp.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.