- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus more for grilling
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 fresh long red chiles, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons julienned fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup Thai sweet chile sauce
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 scallion, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 12 jumbo shrimp in the shells, butterflied and deveined
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- In a large saucepan, heat the 1/4 cup of oil. Add the garlic, chiles and ginger and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until fragrant, 2 minutes. Add the ketchup, chile sauce, hoisin sauce, fish sauce, sugar and 1/4 cup of water. Simmer until slightly thickened, 5 minutes. Spoon 1 cup of the sauce into a bowl and let cool slightly, then stir in the scallion, cilantro, mint and tomatoes.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. In a large bowl, toss the shrimp with oil; season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderately high heat, turning once, until cooked through, about 6 minutes. Transfer the shrimp to a large bowl. Add the sauce from the saucepan; toss. Return the shrimp to the grill and cook, turning once, until glazed, 1 minute. Serve the shrimp with the sweet chile sauce.
Beer Coopers is Australia's largest independent brewery and actually exports a good amount of its beers to the US. Its fresh Pale Ale would be fantastic with this slightly spicy sauce. For wine, try a lime-scented Riesling from Tasmania.