- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Asian chili-garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 1 large red onion, sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 6 Portobello mushrooms caps
- 1 large chayote (3/4 pound)—halved lengthwise, pitted and cut lengthwise into 24 slices
- 2 pounds shelled and deveined medium shrimp
- 1/4 cup pure olive oil, for brushing
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Light a grill. In a small bowl, combine the orange juice, soy sauce, chili-garlic sauce and sesame oil.
- Insert a toothpick through each onion slice to the center to hold it together. Arrange the onion slices, Portobello caps and chayote slices on 2 large baking sheets. Thread the shrimp onto six 12-inch metal skewers. Brush the vegetables and shrimp with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the onion and chayote over a medium-hot fire until lightly charred, 2 minutes per side. Grill the Portobellos until tender and lightly charred, 4 minutes per side. Return the vegetables to the baking sheets. Grill the shrimp until just cooked through, 1 minute per side.
- Thickly slice the Portobellos. Remove the toothpicks from the onion slices and separate into rings. Drizzle 3 tablespoons of the dressing over the vegetables and toss them together. Mound the vegetable salad on plates and top with the shrimp skewers. Drizzle with the remaining dressing and serve.
One Serving: 267 cal, 11 gm fat, 1.7 gm saturated fat, 9 gm carb, 2 gm fiber.