© Wendell T. Webber
Grilled Sea Scallops with Corn Salad
- SERVINGS: 6
Plus: More Seafood Recipes and Tips
- 6 ears of corn, shucked
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 3 scallions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup basil leaves, finely shredded
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 1/2 pounds sea scallops (about 30)
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the corn until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and cool. Stand the corn in a large bowl and slice off the kernels. Add the tomatoes, scallions and basil and season with salt and pepper.
- In a blender, puree the shallot with the vinegar, hot water and mustard. With the blender on, slowly add 6 tablespoons of the safflower oil until combined. Season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper, then toss with the corn salad.
- In a large bowl, toss the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil with the scallops; season with salt and pepper. Heat a large grill pan. Add half of the scallops at a time to the pan and grill over moderately high heat, turning once, until browned, about 4 minutes per batch. Mound the corn salad on plates, top with the scallops and serve.