- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 small shallot, minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pink grapefruit
- 1 large fennel bulb—halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 16 sea scallops (about 1 pound), side muscles removed
- Light a grill. In a small bowl, pour the lemon juice over the minced shallot and let stand for 5 minutes. Whisk in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and season the dressing with salt and pepper.
- Using a sharp knife, peel the grapefruit, making sure to remove all of the bitter white pith. Working over a medium bowl, cut in between the membranes to release the sections into the bowl. Toss the fennel and parsley with the grapefruit.
- Brush the scallops with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderately high heat, turning once, until just cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Toss the dressing with the salad and season with salt and pepper; transfer to plates. Set the scallops on the salads and serve.
Zesty Sauvignon Blanc, such as one from Argentina.