- Finely grated lime zest, plus 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 1/2 pounds honeydew melon, rind removed and melon cut into 1/4-inch dice (2 1/2 cups)
- 1 Hass avocado, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds large sea scallops
- Light a grill. In a large bowl, combine the lime zest and juice with the 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the diced honeydew melon and avocado. Season the salsa with salt and black pepper.
- Drizzle the scallops with olive oil and season with salt and black pepper. Grill over moderately high heat, turning once, until nicely charred and just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer the scallops to plates, spoon the salsa alongside and serve.
The toasty flavors of a California Chardonnay would be delicious with the sweet and smoky scallops.