- 2 plum tomatoespeeled, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely cracked black pepper
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Six 1/4-inch-thick crosswise slices of red onion
- 6 loosley packed cups frisée, tough stems removed
- 18 jumbo sea scallops
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, shallot and balsamic vinegar. In another small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, cracked black pepper and salt. Gradually whisk in 1/3 cup of the olive oil.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add the onion slices in a single layer and cook over moderately high heat until golden, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the onions to a plate and separate into rings.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly toss the frisée with two -thirds of the dressing. Mound the salad on 6 plates and top with the onion rings.
- Light a grill or heat a grill pan over moderately high heat. In a bowl, toss the scallops with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and season them with salt and ground pepper. Grill the scallops until golden and just cooked though, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Arrange 3 scallops around the edge of each salad and spoon the diced tomatoes on top. Drizzle the remaining dressing over the scallops and serve at once.
The tomatoes and dressing can stand separately at room temperature for up to 4 hours.