Grilled Scallop Salad
- SERVINGS: 6
This salad, inspired by the Los Angeles chefs Brigit Legere Binns has worked with, is simple and elegant with complex flavors.
- 2 plum tomatoespeeled, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely cracked black pepper
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Six 1/4-inch-thick crosswise slices of red onion
- 6 loosley packed cups frisée, tough stems removed
- 18 jumbo sea scallops
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, shallot and balsamic vinegar. In another small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, cracked black pepper and salt. Gradually whisk in 1/3 cup of the olive oil.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add the onion slices in a single layer and cook over moderately high heat until golden, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the onions to a plate and separate into rings.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly toss the frisée with two -thirds of the dressing. Mound the salad on 6 plates and top with the onion rings.
- Light a grill or heat a grill pan over moderately high heat. In a bowl, toss the scallops with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and season them with salt and ground pepper. Grill the scallops until golden and just cooked though, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Arrange 3 scallops around the edge of each salad and spoon the diced tomatoes on top. Drizzle the remaining dressing over the scallops and serve at once.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.