Grilled Sardines with Herbed Fennel-and-Olive Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Sardines are a great fish to grill: they cook quickly, and because they're oily, they're harder to overcook than delicate white fish. Here, they're topped with a crisp and tangy herb-and-olive salad that complements the rich fish.
- 12 large fresh sardines, cleaned
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 medium fennel bulb, halved, cored and very thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 cup parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup tarragon leaves
- 1/2 cup snipped chives
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted oil-cured olives
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan and brush with olive oil. Brush the sardines with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderately high heat, turning once, until lightly charred outside and just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer the grilled sardines to a platter.
- In a large bowl, toss the sliced fennel with the parsley, tarragon, chives, chopped olives, lemon juice and the 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Pile the fennel-and-olive salad on the grilled sardines and serve right away.
A minerally, zesty Albariño from northern Spain.