- 12 large fresh sardines, cleaned
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 medium fennel bulb, halved, cored and very thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 cup parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup tarragon leaves
- 1/2 cup snipped chives
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted oil-cured olives
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
How to make this recipe
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan and brush with olive oil. Brush the sardines with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderately high heat, turning once, until lightly charred outside and just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer the grilled sardines to a platter.
- In a large bowl, toss the sliced fennel with the parsley, tarragon, chives, chopped olives, lemon juice and the 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Pile the fennel-and-olive salad on the grilled sardines and serve right away.
A minerally, zesty Albariño from northern Spain.
Photo © Christina Holmes Published June 2014