Grilled Salmon Sandwiches
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
One of the great things about roasting a whole salmon is that there are usually leftovers. Love uses any extra fish in his exquisite riff on the BLT, layered with bacon and watercress. The sandwich would be equally good with another roasted fish, such as bluefish or cod.
More Salmon Recipes
- 8 slices ciabatta or peasant bread
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 slices of bacon (about 3/4 pound)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/4 pounds leftover salmon (about 3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 bunch of watercress (6 ounces), thick stems discarded
- Light a grill. Brush the bread on both sides with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and grill over high heat until toasted on both sides, about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the bacon over moderately high heat until crisp, about 6 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Spread the mayonnaise on the toast. Divide the salmon between 4 slices of toast and top with the bacon. In a medium bowl, mix the lemon juice with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add the watercress and toss. Mound the watercress on the bacon. Close the sandwiches, cut in half and serve.
For these salmon sandwiches, go with a Sonoma Coast Chardonnay sharpened by a bit of acidity.