Grilled Romaine Salad with Roasted Garlic Dressing
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
E. Michael Reidt's Santa Barbara, California, apartment has great views of the surrounding avocado fields, but no kitchen. "No oven. No microwave. My only cooking equipment is a gas grill," he says, "so I have to get creative." Sturdy hearts of romaine become marvelously smoky on the grill, for a unique riff on Caesar salad that's a delicious accompaniment to grilled steak.
More Green Salad Recipes
- 1 head of garlic, top third sliced off and discarded
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 romaine hearts, halved lengthwise
- 3 ounces Manchego cheese, shaved (1 cup)
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Place the head of garlic, cut side up, on a double sheet of foil and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap the foil around the garlic and bake until the cloves are very soft, about 1 hour. Let cool.
- Light a grill. Squeeze the garlic cloves into a blender. Add the buttermilk and lemon juice and blend to a puree. With the machine on, slowly pour in the 1 cup of olive oil until blended. Season the dressing with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the cut side of the romaine hearts with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill the romaine over a hot fire, cut side down, until charred in spots, about 20 seconds. Turn the romaine over and grill for 20 seconds longer. Transfer the heads to a platter, cut side up. Drizzle the dressing over the romaine, sprinkle with the Manchego and serve right away.