- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 pounds frozen pizza dough, thawed and cut into 8 pieces
- 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (1 ounce)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Vegetable oil, for the grill
- 4 large heads of radicchio, each cut into 8 wedges
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound part-skim mozzarella, cut into 8 slices
- Lightly brush several large baking sheets with olive oil. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out 1 piece of dough to an 8-inch round about 1/4 inch thick. Repeat with the remaining dough. Transfer the dough rounds to the prepared baking sheets.
- In a small bowl, combine the ricotta with the Parmesan cheese. Season the cheese mixture generously with salt and pepper.
- Light a grill. Lightly oil the grate. Arrange the radicchio wedges on a large baking sheet and drizzle with 3 tablespoons of the olive oil. Sprinkle the minced garlic over the radicchio wedges and season with salt and pepper. Grill the radicchio wedges over a hot fire, turning them occasionally, until they are wilted and charred in spots, about 3 minutes. Return the radicchio wedges to the baking sheet. Clean the grill grate with a wire brush or a crumpled piece of aluminum foil and tongs.
- Have all the ingredients near the grill. Brush the dough rounds with some of the remaining olive oil. Grill 2 or 3 rounds at a time just until the bottoms are set and lightly charred, about 1 minute. Quickly, flip the rounds and top each one with a slice of mozzarella, one-eighth of the radicchio and one-eighth of the ricotta mixture in the center; season with salt. Immediately fold the dough over the filling to loosely form calzones. Using a spatula, transfer the barely cooked calzones to a large baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough rounds and filling.
- Brush the calzones with the remaining olive oil. Grill the calzones over a low fire, turning frequently, until golden and charred in spots and the cheese is melted, 3 to 4 minutes longer. Transfer to a large platter and serve.
One Serving: 613 cal, 27.6 gm fat, 4.4 gm saturated fat, 72 gm carb, 4 gm fiber.
To play off the richness of the cheeses here, serve a crisp red, such as a Barbera from California or Italy.