Grilled Quick-Cured Trout with Mustard-Olive Dressing
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN PLUS 1 HOUR FOR CURING
- SERVINGS: 6
A light salt-and-honey brine gives the trout a clean, almost sweet and delicate flavor and shortens its grilling time.
- 1 quart cold water
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- Twelve 4-ounce trout fillets, with skin
- 2 tablespoons chopped Calamata olives
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Freshly ground pepper
- 6 cups (lightly packed) baby greens or mesclun
- In a very large bowl, combine the water with 1 cup of kosher salt and the honey; stir to dissolve the salt. Add the trout and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the olives with the mustard, vinegar and the 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season the dressing with salt and pepper.
- Light a grill. Drain the trout and pat dry. Brush the trout on both sides with olive oil and grill over a hot fire, skin side down, until lightly charred and crisp, about 3 minutes. Turn and grill until just cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- Transfer the trout to plates. In a large bowl, toss the greens with 1 tablespoon of the dressing. Add the salad to the plates; pass the remaining dressing at the table for the trout.
NotesOne Serving: 437 cal, 16.4 gm fat, 3 gm saturated fat, 2 gm carb, 1 gm fiber.