Grilled Quick-Brined Jumbo Shrimp
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN Plus 4 hr brining
- SERVINGS: 8
Andy Ricker gives shrimp a quick brininga technique not typically used in Thailandto keep them firm and juicy when grilled.
More Delicious Shrimp Dishes
More Thai Recipes
- 10 cups water
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 24 jumbo shrimp (2 1/2 pounds)
- Spicy Citrus Dipping Sauce, for serving
- In a large bowl, combine the water, salt and sugar, stirring to dissolve the salt. Using a paring knife or scissors, slit each shrimp down the back through the shell; remove the dark veins. Add the shrimp to the brine, cover and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Light a grill. Drain the shrimp and pat dry. Grill the shrimp over moderately high heat, turning once, until the shells are lightly charred and the shrimp are just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Serve with the Spicy Citrus Dipping Sauce.
The tangy-sweet dipping sauce for these quick-brined shrimp will work well with a citrusy white wine, such as a dry Riesling. In the warm climate of southern Australia, the wine takes on lime flavors that make it terrific with seafood.