- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup Asian red chili sauce, such as sambal oelek
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 8 partially boned quail (about 4 pounds)
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons Asian fish sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds green papaya or underripe honeydew melonpeeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a shallow glass dish, mix the wine, canola oil, chili sauce, ginger and garlic. Add the quail and coat well with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- In a medium bowl, combine the onion, lime juice and fish sauce. Fold in the green papaya and season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Remove the quail from the marinade and season with salt and pepper. Grill the quail over a hot fire or high heat until lightly charred and just cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer 2 quail to each plate, spoon the papaya salad alongside and serve.
A German Riesling with a hint of apple and citrus will contrast well with the gamy birds.