- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 medium portobello mushrooms, stemmed
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
How to make this recipe
- Light a grill. In a small bowl, blend the butter with the tarragon and parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Brush the portobello caps with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Set the mushrooms on the grill, gills down, and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until tender and nicely charred, about 8 minutes. Dollop the tarragon-parsley butter over the gills and cook for about 1 minute longer, until the butter is melted. Transfer the grilled mushrooms to plates and serve right away.
The herb butter can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature before proceeding.
Pinot Noir is an ideal partner for mushroom dishes like this, thanks to its earthy intensity and wild berry fruit.