Kelsie Kerr and Marsha McBride's Grilled Pork Chops with Succotash
- SERVINGS: 6
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pint red cherry or pear tomatoes, halved
- 1 pint yellow cherry or pear tomatoes, halved
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 fresh sage leaves
- 3 cups fresh or thawed frozen shell beans, such as lima or cranberry beans or black-eyed peas
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels
- Six 1/2-pound pork loin chops, with rib bone
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread 3 tablespoons of olive oil on each of 2 rimmed baking sheets. Arrange the red tomatoes, cut side down, on 1 baking sheet and the yellow tomatoes, cut side down, on the other. Season the tomatoes with salt and pepper and add 2 sage leaves to each baking sheet. Bake the tomatoes for about 25 minutes, or until softened and starting to brown on top. Let cool, then transfer to a bowl.
- Put the beans in a medium saucepan; cover fresh beans with 1 1/2 inches of water, thawed beans with 1/2 inch of water. Bring the beans to a boil and add 1 tablespoon of the oil and 2 more sage leaves. Simmer over moderately low heat until just tender, about 20 minutes for fresh and 10 minutes for frozen. Season with salt and pepper and let the beans stand in their cooking liquid.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add the onion and the remaining 2 sage leaves and cook over moderately low heat, stirring until translucent, about 5 minutes. Raise the heat to moderate, add the corn and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the reserved beans and enough of their cooking liquid to make a stew. Simmer until the corn is tender, about 5 minutes; if necessary, add water to moisten the stew. Season with salt and pepper.
- Set the pork chops on a large baking sheet and sprinkle the chops on both sides with salt, using 1/2 teaspoon per chop. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours.
- Light a grill or preheat the broiler. Rub the pork chops with the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and grill over moderately hot fire or broil, turning once, until crusty brown outside and slightly pink inside, about 12 minutes. To serve, spoon the succotash onto 6 plates and top with the pork chops. Spoon the tomatoes are the meat and serve.
A rich, dark, spicy California Zinfandel like the Ridge Paso Robles Zinfandel.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.