© Jody Horton
Grilled Oysters with Tabasco-Leek Butter
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes 2 dozen oysters
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium leek, white and tender green parts only, very thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon Tabasco
- 2 dozen oysters on the half shell
- In a skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add the leek and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened and lightly browned, 8 minutes. Stir in the vinegar, transfer to a bowl and let cool. Stir in the garlic, lemon juice and Tabasco. Soften the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter and combine thoroughly with the leek mixture. Season with salt.
- Light a grill. Place a dollop of leek butter on each oyster. Grill the oysters over high heat until just cooked through and the butter is melted, about 1 minute. Serve right away.
Make Ahead The Tabasco-leek butter can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Let soften before using.
Beer Fresh, light Oregon pale ale: Full Sail.
Wine Herb-scented Sonoma Sauvignon Blanc.