Grilled Oysters Casino
- SERVINGS: 12
Oysters update the eastern seaboard classic clams Casino. Have your fishmonger shuck them for you.
- 24 shucked oysters, on the half shell
- 4 thick slices of smoky bacon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely diced green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Arrange the oysters on a large baking sheet and refrigerate. In a medium skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels and cut crosswise into 1-inch lengths.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the bell peppers and onion; cook over moderately high heat, stirring often, until softened, 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the parsley. Let cool slightly, spoon over the oysters and top with the bacon.
- Light a grill or preheat the oven to 500°. Using tongs, transfer the oysters to the grate and grill over a moderately low fire for 7 to 10 minutes, or until just cooked through. Alternatively, roast the oysters on the baking sheet in the oven. Transfer to a platter and serve at once with lemon wedges.
The briny oysters and smoky bacon are enhanced by a sparkling wine or crisp, acidic white. From the North Fork, look for Jamesport's nonvintage sparkling wine.