- 1 1/2 cups ouzo
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cracked peppercorns
- 12 lamb loin chops
- Pour the ouzo into a shallow dish just large enough to hold the lamb chops in a single layer; add the olive oil, nutmeg, peppercorns and a big pinch of salt. Turn the chops in the marinade to coat. Let stand at cool room temperature for 3 hours, turning the chops every 30 minutes.
- Light a grill. Remove the chops from the marinade and season with salt and pepper; reserve the marinade. Grill the chops over a medium-hot fire, basting frequently with the marinade, until lightly charred outside and medium rare within, about 8 minutes per side.
A big, spicy Greek red will complement the lamb's smoky flavor and point up the nutmeg's sweetness.