- 12 thin slices of mortadella
- 12 ounces fresh robiola or goat cheese
- 12 basil leaves
- 3 cups packed baby arugula leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
How to make this recipe
- On a work surface, lay out 4 slices of the mortadella. Spoon some robiola in the center of each one and top it with a basil leaf. Fold the mortadella over the cheese, fold in the sides to form a neat packet and secure it with toothpicks. Repeat with the remaining mortadella, robiola and basil.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Grill the mortadella packets over high heat for about 1 minute per side, until they are lightly charred and the cheese has melted. Discard the toothpicks.
- In a bowl, toss the arugula with the olive oil and vinegar and season with salt. Transfer to a platter. Arrange the packets around the arugula and serve right away.
The packets can be refrigerated for up to 4 hours. Bring to room temperature before grilling.
For creamy cheeses like Robiola, pour moderately tannic reds. A Chianti Classico is ideal.