- 1 1/2 pounds firm green tomatoes, sliced crosswise 3/4 inch thick
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Four 6-ounce skinless mahimahi or tilefish fillets, about 1 inch thick
How to make this recipe
- Light a charcoal grill, or preheat a broiler with the rack 6 inches from the heat.
- Place the tomatoes on a baking sheet, drizzle the olive oil on top and season with salt and pepper. Lift the tomatoes off the baking sheet, allowing the oil to drain onto the sheet, and transfer them to the grill or broiler pan. Cook until charred and barely tender, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter, cover and keep warm.
- Coat the fish on both sides with the oil from the baking sheet, season with salt and pepper and grill or broil until cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Serve the fish hot off the grill with the tomatoes.
Light-fleshed fish and sharp tomatoes signal a light, simple, dry white. Consider an Alsace Pinot Blanc, such as Hugel or Lucien Albrecht.