- 1 Hass avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño—halved, seeded and very thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon marjoram leaves, plus more for garnish
- Coarse sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Four 1/2-inch-thick slices of peasant bread
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- Two 8-ounce Spanish mackerel fillets, halved crosswise at an angle
- 8 very thin slices of lardo (Italian cured pork back fat; see Note)
- In a medium bowl, combine the avocado slices with the jalapeño and the 1 teaspoon of marjoram; season with salt and pepper. Add the lemon juice and the 2 tablespoons of olive oil and toss gently.
- Light a grill and brush the grates with oil. Brush the bread with olive oil and grill over high heat, turning once, until lightly charred in spots. Rub the bread with the cut sides of the garlic clove.
- Brush the mackerel with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill skin side down until lightly charred, about 3 minutes. Carefully flip the fish and grill until cooked through, about 2 minutes longer. Arrange the fish on the bread, skin side up. Top with the lardo and avocado salad. Garnish with marjoram leaves and serve right away.
Citrusy New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.