- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, plus more for the grill
- 1/2 cup packed mint leaves, plus 2 tablespoons finely chopped mint
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon mild honey
- Four 8-ounce lamb leg steaks, cut 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- In a small bowl, mix the lime juice and zest with the sugar, 1 tablespoon of the fish sauce and one half of the minced jalapeños. Stir to dissolve the sugar, then stir the oil into the salsa.
- In a small saucepan of boiling water, blanch the mint leaves just until wilted. Drain, refresh under cold water and drain again. Squeeze the mint dry, then mince; stir into the salsa with the scallion.
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining 1 tablespoon of fish sauce, 2 tablespoons of mint and half of the jalapeños with the garlic and honey. Spread over the lamb steaks and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Light a grill; lightly oil the grate. Season the lamb with salt and pepper. Grill the steaks over a medium-hot fire, turning once, until browned, about 8 minutes for medium. Serve with the salsa.
An acerbic, herbaceous Cabernet-Merlot blend complements the grilled lamb and tangy salsa. Look for one from New Zealand.