- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Aleppo pepper (see Note) or 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 1/4 pounds trimmed boneless leg of lamb, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 6 large firm-ripe tomatoes
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
How to make this recipe
In a large glass dish, combine the olive oil, garlic and Aleppo pepper. Add the lamb and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate for 2 hours.
Light a grill. Grill the tomatoes over a hot fire until charred all over. Let cool slightly, then peel, core, seed and coarsely chop them. Transfer to a medium saucepan. Using a potato masher or large fork, crush the tomatoes until chunky. Season the sauce with salt.
Thread the lamb onto six 12-inch metal skewers, alternating the meat with pieces of green bell pepper. Season the kebabs with salt and black pepper and grill over a medium-hot fire, turning once, until the lamb is medium rare, about 8 minutes.
Reheat the tomato sauce and spoon it onto plates. Set a kebab on each plate, sprinkle with the parsley and serve. Alternatively, remove the lamb from the skewers and quarter each piece. Heat the lamb in the tomato sauce, transfer to plates and serve.
Turkish Aleppo pepper is available at specialty stores and Middle Eastern markets.