© Antonis Achilleos
Grilled Lamb and Red Onion Skewers
- SERVINGS: 4
More Amazing Lamb Recipes
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless leg of lamb, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 medium beefsteak tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped basil
- Four 1-inch slices of peasant bread
- 1/4 cup black olive tapenade
- Light a grill or preheat a large cast-iron grill pan. In a medium bowl, toss the lamb with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Alternate the lamb on four 12-inch skewers with pieces of red onion.
- In another bowl, combine the garlic with the balsamic vinegar and 3 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the tomatoes and basil, season with salt and pepper and toss well.
- Brush the bread on both sides with the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Grill, turning once, until toasted, about 2 minutes per side. Spread about 2 teaspoons of the tapenade on each toast. Grill the lamb until browned all over, 7 to 8 minutes for medium rare meat. Spread the remaining tapenade on the lamb.
- Spoon the tomato salad onto large plates. Add a lamb skewer and a tapenade toast to each and serve.
The rich lamb will stand up to and mellow a Cabernet Sauvignon's tannin. Opt for one from Argentina.