Grilled Jumbo Shrimp with Kimchi-Miso Butter
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4 first-course servings
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 tablespoons yellow miso paste
- 1/4 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup kimchi—drained, pressed dry and finely chopped
- 12 plump scallions, bottom 6 inches only, white parts halved lengthwise
- Canola oil, for brushing
- 12 jumbo shrimp in the shell, butterflied (see Note)
- 1/4 cup shredded seasoned nori
- In a microwave-safe bowl, using a wooden spoon, beat the softened butter with the miso paste, toasted sesame oil and salt. Add the chopped kimchi and beat until blended. Microwave at high power for about 10 seconds, just until the butter is melted.
- Preheat the broiler and position a rack 6 inches from the heat. Preheat a cast-iron grill pan. Brush the scallions with canola oil and grill over moderately high heat, turning, until the scallions are tender and browned in spots, about 3 minutes. Transfer the scallions to a plate. Lightly brush the shrimp with canola oil and place on the grill, shell side down. Drizzle each shrimp with a scant tablespoon of the butter and grill for 3 minutes. Transfer the grill pan to the oven rack and broil for about 1 minute, until the shrimp are cooked through and glazed with the butter. Transfer the shrimp and scallions to plates and drizzle with more of the butter. Garnish with the shredded nori. Serve right away.
The seasoned butter can be refrigerated overnight. Melt just before using.Notes
Using a sharp knife, cut through the underside of the shrimp almost all of the way through. Pull out and discard the intestinal vein.
Silky California Chardonnay.