Grilled Jumbo Shrimp with Garlic-Herb Butter
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4 first-course servings
The best way to eat these shrimp in the shell is to peel them at the table and lick the garlicky butter off your fingers.
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup finely chopped basil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 16 jumbo shrimp in the shell, preferably with heads left on
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- White rum, for sprinkling (optional)
- In a small saucepan, combine the butter with the parsley, basil, garlic and shallot and melt over low heat.;
- Light a grill or heat a grill pan. Halve the shrimp lengthwise, leaving them attached 1 inch below the head. Devein the shrimp and spread them open. Season with salt and pepper, then brush liberally with the herb butter.
- Grill the shrimp over a medium-hot fire, shell side down, until lightly charred, about 1 minute. Turn and grill the other side until lightly browned, about 40 seconds. Turn the shrimp again. Brush them liberally with more herb butter, sprinkle with rum and grill until barely cooked through and bubbling, about 1 minute longer. Serve at once.
An aromatic, soft, spicy white from Argentina will contrast with the pungent garlic and smoky grilled flavors here.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.