- 2 cups hickory chips
- Four 10- to 12-ounce trimmed hanger steaks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Roasted Fall-Vegetable Hash, for serving
How to make this recipe
- Put the hickory chips in a medium bowl and cover with water. Let the chips stand for 1 hour, then drain.
- Light a gas grill and turn it to high on one side; remove the grate over that side. Keep the grate over the other side of the grill. Make a foil box with heavy-duty foil, about 4 inches square. Set the foil box directly over the gas flame to heat. Put the drained hickory chips in the box. Close the grill until it fills with smoke, about 3 minutes. Lay the steaks on the grate opposite the smoke box, cover and smoke for 20 minutes. Transfer the smoked steaks to a large platter.
- Remove the foil smoke box and replace the grate. Light the other side of the grill and turn the heat to high. Season the steaks with salt and pepper and grill until nicely charred outside and medium-rare within, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer the steaks to a carving board and let rest for 5 minutes. Thickly slice the steaks across the grain and serve with the Roasted Fall-Vegetable Hash.
The smoked steaks can be refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before grilling.
A formidable, peppery Syrah from France's Côte-du-Rhône region.