- 1 small eggplant, sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick
- 2 medium yellow squash, sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons olive oil plus more for brushing
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh tarragon
- 4 small tomatoes, halved crosswise
- 1 medium red onion, cut crosswise into 4 slices
- 3 medium bell peppers, preferably 1 each red, yellow and purple, quartered lengthwise
- 4 thick slices of country bread
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 medium garlic clove, finely chopped
- 4 1/2 ounces mild goat cheese, crumbled
How to make this recipe
Light a grill or preheat the broiler. Combine the eggplant, zucchini and yellow squash in a large shallow bowl. Add the 3 tablespoons olive oil and toss to coat, then season the vegetables with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, mix the basil with the oregano and tarragon and toss all but 1 1/2 teaspoons with the vegetables. Brush the cut sides of the tomatoes and the red onion with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Grill the peppers, skin sides down, for about 12 minutes, or until charred. Grill the eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash and onion, turning once or twice, until tender: about 5 minutes for the zucchini and squash, about 6 minutes for the onion and 8 to 10 minutes for the eggplant. Grill the tomatoes, starting cut sides down and turning once, for about 5 minutes, until slightly softened. Lightly brush the bread with olive oil and grill until toasted. Peel the peppers, then arrange all the grilled vegetables on a platter or large plates and keep warm in a low oven.
In a small nonreactive saucepan, bring the cream and garlic to a simmer over low heat; simmer the mixture for 5 minutes. Whisk in the goat cheese until the sauce is smooth and season with pepper. Spoon the goat cheese sauce over the grilled vegetables, sprinkle with the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped herbs and serve with the grilled bread.
To echo the dominant flavors of vegetables and goat cheese, look for a Sauvignon Blanc with strong varietal character from California.