- 1 small eggplant, sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick
- 2 medium yellow squash, sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons olive oil plus more for brushing
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh tarragon
- 4 small tomatoes, halved crosswise
- 1 medium red onion, cut crosswise into 4 slices
- 3 medium bell peppers, preferably 1 each red, yellow and purple, quartered lengthwise
- 4 thick slices of country bread
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 medium garlic clove, finely chopped
- 4 1/2 ounces mild goat cheese, crumbled
- Light a grill or preheat the broiler. Combine the eggplant, zucchini and yellow squash in a large shallow bowl. Add the 3 tablespoons olive oil and toss to coat, then season the vegetables with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, mix the basil with the oregano and tarragon and toss all but 1 1/2 teaspoons with the vegetables. Brush the cut sides of the tomatoes and the red onion with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the peppers, skin sides down, for about 12 minutes, or until charred. Grill the eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash and onion, turning once or twice, until tender: about 5 minutes for the zucchini and squash, about 6 minutes for the onion and 8 to 10 minutes for the eggplant. Grill the tomatoes, starting cut sides down and turning once, for about 5 minutes, until slightly softened. Lightly brush the bread with olive oil and grill until toasted. Peel the peppers, then arrange all the grilled vegetables on a platter or large plates and keep warm in a low oven.
- In a small nonreactive saucepan, bring the cream and garlic to a simmer over low heat; simmer the mixture for 5 minutes. Whisk in the goat cheese until the sauce is smooth and season with pepper. Spoon the goat cheese sauce over the grilled vegetables, sprinkle with the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped herbs and serve with the grilled bread.
To echo the dominant flavors of vegetables and goat cheese, look for a Sauvignon Blanc with strong varietal character from California.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.