Grilled Herbed Baby Lamb Chops
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
In Spain, chuletillas de cordero (teeny lamb chops) are about the size of lollipops. Before grilling the succulent chops over a fire at Valdubón vineyard in the Ribera del Duero wine region, Mario Batali rubbed them with a mixture of rosemary, lavender, sugar and red wine vinegar, which gave them a wonderful herbal tang.
More Lamb Recipes
- Twelve 4-ounce baby lamb rib chops
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons chopped dried lavender buds
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Light a grill. Rub the lamb all over with the olive oil and drizzle with the vinegar. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, rosemary and lavender and season with salt and pepper. Rub the herb mixture over the lamb and grill over high heat, turning occasionally, about 8 minutes for medium-rare meat. Transfer to a platter, season with salt and pepper and serve.
These herby chops are exactly the kind of homey dish that might be served at a winemaker's home in Ribera del Duero or Rioja, the most famous wine-producing regions in Spain. The red Rioja's lightly gamey, cherry-rich flavors are a natural match for lamb.